While we are about twenty minutes away from the beginning of Earth Day on the West coast and I see many fellow organic minded, eco-conscious stores offering "Earth Day Sales" high and low but I think the point is going to be missed if we turn Earth Day into the boxing day equivalent for eco-friendly stores and shops around.
Instead of a 40% off water bottle sale or bakers dozen special, let's reflect on simple changes we can make today and continue with throughout the year.
I don't think it's any big secret that consumerism is not going to save the planet but here's my list of what changes you can make easily.
- Stop buying bottled water
- Find a fave beverage bottle and use it
- Cloth diaper your baby (at least some of the time!)
- Compost in your backyard OR
- We use community composting to pick ours up
- Reuse, Repurpose
- Eat Organic on Earth Day (or everyday)
- Recycle your coffee bags, Styrofoam etc
- Plant something (1 herb pot or a whole veggie garden)
- Stop buying new plastic
- Eat less meat
- Consider your carbon footprint
- Shop your local farmers market- the season is upon us!
- Talk to your kids about their planet and our effects
- Never forget our children inherit the world from us
- Read stories
- Make natural play dough (no toxic dyes or scents needed)
- Use vinegar, tea tree oil and baking soda to clean
- Enjoy the day
- Get a cloth diaper demo
- Talk to your friends/family about the environment
What are your thoughts about Earth Day and how are you spending your day? Is it educational, eventful, or just another day on the calendar?